How to make ice toys!
Ever wonder how we make our enrichment ice toys for our marine mammals? Well here is a recipe for Northern fur seal and harbor seal ice toys!
1) Cut herring into strips
2) Place herring, 2 capelin and 1 squid into mold
3) Fill mold with water
4) Place mold in freezer for 2-3 hours
5) Remove ice toy from mold by running it under luke-warm water
6) Ice toy removed from mold
7) Deliver ice toys to marine mammals
8) Watch them enjoy their ice toy treat!
Come learn more about ice toy enrichment during Marine Mammal Mania (April 13-15 Northern fur seals and April 20-22, harbor seals). There will be an ice toy demonstration each day at 1pm at our Northern fur seal exhibit!